Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscar Predictions 2011

Okay peeps. Here it is. My predictions for the major categories this year.  I do have to say that this year was INFINITELY more difficult to predict than last year.

Stay tuned tomorrow for my rundown of the fashion on the red carpet, the show, and all the surprises that are likely in store for us tomorrow evening.

Best Picture
The heartfelt, uplifting period piece vs. the contemporary cultural zeitgeist.  It's The King's Speech vs. The Social Network.  I loved both of these films (along with all the other nominated films this year - all are deserving movies).  Early on, it seemed like this was The Social Network's to lose.  But more recently, it seems that The King's Speech has made a late breakaway from the pack.  Personally, I would love to see The Social Network take it, but perhaps a movie with such an unlikeable protagonist won't sit well with the Academy voters.  Therefore, I predict that The King's Speech will have the last triumph.

Best Director
I am still a little miffed at the exclusion of Christopher Nolan from this category.  But the Academy's precious darlings, the Coen brothers, just had to be included, almost out of obligation.  Don't get me wrong, I thought True Grit was an excellent movie. I just don't think the Coen brothers deserve to be in this category.  But I digress. Even if Nolan was up for this award, my prediction would be that David Fincher (The Social Network) still wins.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
It's Colin Firth vs. Jeff Bridges again.  But, unlike last year, Firth will not be robbed of his well-deserved Oscar!  Colin Firth will definitely win this one.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Oh how I would LOVE for Annette Bening to win this one.  I loved The Kids Are All Right, and thought Bening was a godsend.  She has been nominated several times before, but has never taken home the gold.  This year, unfortunately, I think she will go home empty handed yet again.  The Oscar instead will go to the Natalie Portman for her brilliant, dark and twisted role in Black Swan.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
My bet is on Christian Bale.  His intense method acting and dedication to every role will resonate with the Academy.  He slimmed down to play a boxer-turned-crack-addict, only to completely lose himself in the role.  This is the kind of acting the Academy likes to reward. Although Geoffrey Rush could pull out an upset.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Many people say this is Melissa Leo's award to lose.  However, my money is on Hailee Steinfeld, for several reasons: 1) voters that liked The Fighter will likely split their votes between Leo and Amy Adams, essentially keeping both from winning, 2) Melissa Leo's self-congratulatory "For Your Consideration..." ads will leave a bad taste in most voters mouths.

Best Original Screenplay
Christopher Nolan's Inception is easily the most original and thoughtful movie I've seen in a long time.

Best Adapted Screenplay
No one, and I mean no one, can compete with Aaron Sorkin's outstanding dialogue and sharp wit in his screenplay for The Social Network.

Best Animated Movie
Anyone who bets against Pixar's Toy Story 3 is a nutjob.

No comments:

Post a Comment