Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oscars 2010

The Oscars are upon us!  One of my favorite nights of the year. It's like the gay man's Super Bowl.  I get so excited every year for this night.  The glitz, the glamour, the pomp and circumstance, all make me giddy as a schoolgirl.  Tomorrow I will have a rundown of my favorite dresses from the red carpet, but for now I give you my fearless predictions of the winners in all the major categories.

Best Picture
So pretty much this race is a toss-up between Avatar and The Hurt Locker. As I loved both of these movies, It's hard for me choose.  It really could go either way, which would be fine with me.  But, as The Hurt Locker has been winning more awards recently, my money is on The Hurt Locker.

Best Director
It's a showdown of the exes. The ex-husband James Cameron (Avatar) vs. the ex-wife Kathyrn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker).  But it's one of those years where a female has the first real shot of winning a Best Director statue, so I think the Academy will go with Kathryn Bigelow.

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges is getting so much hype for his role in Crazy Heart that it's hard for me to pick anyone else in thise catergory.  As much as I would love Colin Firth to win it for A Single Man, I still think Jeff Bridges will take it.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Oh wow, what a race. Probably the least predictable acting category.  You've got first-time nominee Sandra Bullock vs. Oscar veteran Meryl Streep vs. new-comer Gabourey Sidibe.  My personal pick would be Meryl Streep for her spot-on portrayal of Julia Child in Julie & Julia, and for the fact that she is the most nominated actor in screen history (16 nominations!) but has only taken home two statues (and only one of those was for a Leading Role).  I think Streep needs more love from the Academy.  But she has America's sweetheart to contend with.  You know, I really did enjoy The Blind Side and thought Sandra Bullock did an amazing job.  This race is by far the hardest one for me to call, but I'm going with Sandra Bullock on this one (sorry, Meryl, much loves).

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Christoph Waltz will waltz away with this one (oh, please forgive me for that).  As much as I adore Stanley Tucci in pretty much everything (The Lovely Bones is no exception), Waltz's equally evil and charming role as a Nazi S.S. officer in Inglourious Basterds is impossible to ignore.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Mo'nique. Period.

Best Animated Film
Up. Period.

Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Could go to the writers of Up in the Air or the writers of Precious.  To be honest, I did not like Up in the Air, but it was well-written.  I still haven't seen Precious, but from what I hear, it is amazing.  Because I can't pass judgement on Precious, I'm going with Up in the Air on this one.

Best Writing (Original Screenplay)
It's a hard choice. Quentin Tarantino is a master of screenplays.  Inglourious Basterds was no exception. But you've also got The Hurt Locker in the mix, which was masterfully written.  Also, Up had seriously the most heart-wrenching yet warm-spirited story I've seen in a while.  So it's a crapshoot.  I'm gonna take a wild stab and say the The Hurt Locker will win this one.

So, fellow bloggers, what do you think?  Do you think my predictions are solid?

1 comment:

  1. I know this will be more work on you'r part, but post the pictures of the dresses so I don't have to google them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete